Historical research or historiography, 'attempts to systematically recapture the complex nuances, the people,meanings,events,and even ideas of the past that have influenced and shaped the present'.*
Historical research relies on a wide variety of sources, both primary & secondary including unpublished material.
- Eyewitness accounts of events
- Can be oral or written testimony
- Found in public records & legal documents, minutes of meetings, corporate records, recordings, letters, diaries, journals, drawings.
- Located in university archives, libraries or privately run collections such as local historical society.
- Can be oral or written
- Secondhand accounts of events
- Found in textbooks, encyclopedias, journal articles, newspapers, biographies and other media such as films or tape recordings.
*Berg, B. L., & Lune, H. (2012).Qualitative Research Methods for the Social Sciences. (8th ed., International ed.). London: Pearson, 305.